Empathy practice #3: A resistance auditEmpathy
Recall your vitality imperative and create two lists:
- Are there any people you disapprove of or criticize?
- Are there any people who are resisting your priorities and ideas?
Who shows up on both lists? Those people are perfect opportunities for improving empathy. Now do the following:
- Regarding the vitality imperative, fill out a Presence-Empathy Deep Dive for yourself (a worksheet is available for download above.)
- Fill out a Presence-Empathy Deep Dive for anyone related to your vitality imperative who is on both of your lists.
- Then ask yourself:
- How have I disappointed them?
- How might they criticize me?
- What priorities or ideas of theirs do I resist?
- For each person, consider the following: What did you learn? When will you talk to them next? What will change about how you interact?